Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Favourite Books of 2014 so far

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

So we're halfway through the year and it's time for us to reflect back on the first half of 2014 and showcase our favourite reads so far. In the first six months of 2014, I have read a total of 64 books, reaching just over half way to my goal of 100 books this year. These are my favourite 10 books so far :)


1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (see review)
What can I say, this book just takes my breath away. It has such a unique voice, the story it tells so hauntingly beautiful and the language is just, ah, so eloquent. I can keep gushing about this novel all day.

2. The Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier (see review)
This is a fun trilogy translated from German into English. It's fast-paced, contains a really interesting plot, and just makes an overall enjoyable read. I think I devoured this series over the span of a couple of days.

3. The Silver Lining Playbook by Matthew Quick
I read this book prior to seeing the movie and on its own, I still think it's a brilliant book. A bit oddly-paced compared to my usual reads but still highly insightful and enjoyable.

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
What can I say about a book that brought me to tears? It's just ... ugh, the emotions!

5. The Legend series by Marie Lu (see review)
A solid dystopian trilogy that has such a strong world building. The setting is amazing, the plot complex and in-depth and the protagonists - you can't help but fall in love with them.

6. Pivot Point & Split Second by Kasie West (see review book #1 & #2)
An interesting concept which raises the question of a lot of what-ifs. And it is a series that jerks at your heartstrings.

7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (see review)
A super cute chick-lit that relates to the inner nerd within us all.

8. Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
All I can say is read this series without the movie series clouding your judgment. This series is so much better.

9. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
A modern sci-fi twist on classic fairytales. This is the first book in a series The Lunar Chronicles.

10. The Darkest Mind & Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Another dystopian series - the third and final volume of which is coming out in October this year.

So these are my top ten picks so far for this year. What are yours? :)

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Fangirl. I really liked Eleanor and Park and Attachments, so I am halfway through Rowell's novels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Darkest Minds! I cannot wait for In the Afterlight! Fangirl was one of my favorite reads from last year, this year I read Attachments and Eleanor & Park and loved them! Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Fault In Our Stars! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice list! Seeing a few of these around today! Still need to read The Ruby Red books myself!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Cinder! Great book!

    Here's my TTT:
    http://wendimlee.blogspot.com/2014/06/top-ten-ya-books-i-read-this-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. TFIOS made it to my list! And The Book Thief DEFINITELY would have done if I had read it this year, it's fantastic! Awesome choices :)

    Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you've done some great reading this year, so congratulations! The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars are some of my favorites too, and I'm glad to hear they were as good as the hype indicated for you. I haven't read The Silver Linings Playbook, but after loving Sorta Like a Rock Star as much as I did, I want to. Here's to a great second half of 2014!

    ReplyDelete