Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Top Five Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

It's rare for me to stay away from books that I think I should read but am not sure if I want to. Thus, I can only think of five books in particular.


1. Darkbane by Isobelle Carmody
I remember reading Darkfall and Darksong waaaay back in high school and loving them to pieces. They were the first mammoth books I read and despite their thickness, I loved the story and couldn't wait till the third and final book come out and answer all my questions. Well, it turns out apparently I can wait because it's been 11 years since the release of Darksong and there is not even a whisper of the release of Darkbane. It's gotten to the stage where I've completely forgotten what the series is about and I'm not sure if I even want to finish the series.

2. Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi
I have heard a lot of good things about this series and that apparently the series improves with subsequent books. But really, I tried to read the first book and couldn't make it past the first few chapters. Not one I'm particularly keen on to try again.

3. The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Apparently, this is better written than twilight. But I've been burnt by twilight so badly that I'm really not keen on picking this book up and proving myself wrong. The risk is just not worth it.

4. Tomorrow series by John Marsden
I read Tomorrow When the War Began way back in high school too. Loved it. Read the second book The Dead of Night and loved it too. Then I read the third book and possibly the fourth book. The series didn't really add too much after that and one day, I stopped reading and never picked up this series again. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the time to come back around to this series and knowing there's a spinoff series sort of foreshadows the end of this series and I'm not sure if I'm keen to finish this series.

5. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
I stopped reading after book 9 and am a bit reluctant to finish this series. Not sure what's going to happen at the end but in case it's not the ending I wanted, I'm a bit keen on keeping this series "ongoing."

Which books topped your list?

6 comments:

  1. Snicket's books are a bit tought if you binge read them. There's only so much kid suffering one an take. I felt they're too similar and quit after 3. I might finish but they all seem so linear.
    Shatter Me was a let down a little. It's really overly romantic and not enough dystopian, and it's so... purple. :X I might finish but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meyer gave a soft (shiny) tone to Vampires in Twilight. And yeah, she does give a soft (human) tone to aliens in Host. If you like something more scary I would stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had to force myself to finish Shatter Me, but then the sequels were really good and got a little better and the writing was more manageable to read.


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Lemony Snicket, my kids loved the series and I am clueless as to why. The Host? Borrrriinnngggg...what a waste of $$

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the first Shatter Me, but have yet to read on. I did not like The Host, thought it was not as good as the Twilight series, so hard to read. I did love the Lemony Snicket series though.
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried reading A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I felt like the narrator was talking down to me and insulting my intelligence so I never got past the first book.

    Terri M.
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete