Sunday, January 31, 2016

Off-Topic Sunday: End of the Month Reflections


Welcome to Off-Topic Sunday, a tag that I'm using to post whatever is floating in my head that I want to chat about. For the most part, they'll be book-related but you may occasionally see some non-book-related posts/rants as well.

So at the beginning of my year, I listed my bookish resolutions, in which I reduced my Goodreads Reading Challenge because of a multitude of reasons. The two reasons in particular I listed was I wanted quality over quantity and I was to reread some of my favourite novels again. Last  year, I felt quite pressured and rushed by my GR goal of 150 books (which I did accomplish!), often picking shorter books or pushing through with books even though I knew quite early on I wasn't going to enjoy them. Plus, whenever I had a momentary fancy or urge to pick up an old favourite, I couldn't because I was always needing to push through and read new books.

It's been 31 days since the new year (I'm shocked at how quickly this year is running away from us), I can already say honestly that I am really enjoying my new reading style. Reading is about reading again. I have time to think about which book I am most excited about to read next. And instead of pushing ahead with the next book in a series even though I have forgotten what happened in the previous books, I get to reread the series from the beginning. I am right on track to my GR goal of 52 new books this year and yet I still had plenty of time between books to jot down some thoughts of the book I just read.

Obviously, I still haven't utilized the extra time to their full potential. Ideally, as this year progresses, I hope to use some of that extra time to be a bit more consistent with blog posts, comment more on fellow book blogs, amongst other things. 

What about you guys? How has the year started off for you so far?

1 comment:

  1. I’m also trying not to think too much about my Goodreads reading challenge. I’m already 2 books behind on it, but I want to reread some old favorites.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete